The Captain Claw Forum

A complete forum for every fan of Captain Claw in the world.
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 
 

 Claw and Mystara?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wilhelm
Sponsor
Sponsor
avatar

Male Number of posts : 40
Age : 32
Localisation : Brasília, Brazil
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Claw and Mystara?   Tue Oct 09 2007, 00:42

Hey guys!
This is something I was planning to post for some time, but never had enough time to do so before...
Well, my idea is that the world where Claw lives and has his adventures is actually Mystara. And, more exactly, the Savage Coast.

Well, I should start explaining what's Mystara. Mystara is a RPG setting (RPG = roleplaying game; if you don't know what's it, take a look at Wikipedia, it's something rather easy to undertang, but out of the scope here Wink ). The best way for describing Mystara is that it's just like Lord of the Rings world, with elves, dwarves and orcs/goblins, but during the renascence/colonial era. With means, lots of pirates pirat
And it's especially true at the Savage Coast region, the one region where the pirates of Mystara do thrive.

But one could say that we have those elements in other settings/fictional worlds as well. So, why exacly Mystara/Savage Coast? The main reasons are:


-Not only elves and such, we also have "animal people" here: the Rakastas (cat-people) and Lupins (dog-people). And the lupins also have many different breeds as well, including the "Cocker Spaniards", that are called Pistoleros in Mystara (yes, they're "spanish" as well, one extra pro for the idea).

-Just like LotR, we also have mages and wizards in Mystara. And even better, at the Savage Coast, we have this special effect called the Red Curse, that allows anyone to have limited access to magic, even not being a true magician (which I think is Claw situation, probably the same for Wolvington). It has it's hidrances, however, so most of the people, except for the exceptional ones, woundn't dare to use their magical powers.

-As I implied before, we have equivalents to most of the real world cultures during the XV/XVI/XVII centuries at the Savage Coast. We have the "spanish" and "portuguese" Baronías, the "french" Royaume de Renardie and the "english" Kingdom of Bellayne. And Renardie is basically a kingdom of lupins, while Bellayne is a kingdom of rakastas (which means that Claw and it's crew are likely from Bellayne).

-We also have rarer "tiger" rakastas (the Sherkastas) and "lion" rakastas (the Simbastas), that don't live at the Savage Coast. The Simbastas, however, live close enough that a outcast could ended up at there and became a notorious pirate (Red Tail). And for the Sherkastas, they could get there directed by Princess Adora (see below).

-We have "gods" in Mystara, that are called Immortals. One of them is actually a female rakasta, called Bastet (or just Bast). Immortals, however, are known to create many aliases and thus have diffeent names for different peoples. Princess Adora may be one of those that Bastet just made for herself recently. And why recently? Because, curiosly, Bastet isn't part of the church they have at Bellayne, even she, logically, being the main Immortal worshipped by rakastas elsewhere! So, Claw's quest, in the end, is her way into the faith of Bellayne.

-Just like we have RW cultures in Mystara, we also had a egyptian-like culture as well during it's past. And the Sagave Coast was one of the regions it had colonies. This helps explaining who created the Amulet of Nine Lives (Bastet only found it), made the cat motifs within the temple (quite egyptian-like) and also explains Princess Adora clothes, again quite egyptian, as she is linked with that people at the past.

-And besides all that, we also have place for EVERY exotic thing we can find in Claw's world, like have animals and "animal-people" living side by side (like rats, horses and alligators); Epaulette already exists, where it should be something more of the napoleonic-era; etc.

Okay, now the cons:

-There is no place called Puerto del Lobo, same for La Roca, same for Tiger Island. But there is indeed a place that looks just like the treasure map, just south of Renardie (the realm with lupins). But the castle and town at there have diffeent names. My suggestion for solving this problem? That treasure map was made in the past (likely, a hundred years old), and by that time, this region was dominated by "spanish-speaking" humans and lupins (the Pistoleros). Later the "french-speaking" lupins conquered this region and renamed those sites, and some Pistoleros stayed at there. I guess this also helps to understand why Le Rauxe is the boss and the "cocker-spaniards" obey him.

-There are no dynamites in Mystara (one exotic thing that had no equivalent in Mystara)

-Obviously, there is no Spain in Mystara, but it's mentioned in Claw. That should be replaced, likely, as Renardie.

okay, now the maps of the region:
-Renardie and Bellayne:
http://pandius.com/aniking.gif

-The whole Savage Coast, except for the "Baronías":
http://pandius.com/savage-coast-central-8.png

-And the Baronías:
http://pandius.com/gulf-of-hule-8.png
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merakses
Website Team
Website Team


Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Claw and Mystara?   Thu Oct 11 2007, 04:32

I don't think i like very much some parts of the idea. Let me start
First, elves, dwarves and orcs just don't fit in my "claw" world - it just feels wrong about it, as the humans. For me, the only races should be variations of dogs, cats and rats(and the normal animals seen in-game like iguanas, piranhas and vice verca) .
Second, I think that the use of magic is available to Claw and Wolvington only because they wield some sort of magic items - like wolvington's metal hand, and for highly skilled priests like Omar. Either, there would have been at least some normal mobs using spells.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merakses
Website Team
Website Team


Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Claw and Mystara?   Thu Oct 11 2007, 04:39

Third, I think you are wrong about the egyptian motives in the Temple - the tigers there are monks so probably they are some sort of a Sect from the Rakastas. But I like the Immortal idea - probably Omar was very close to it, that explains how he wields the big diamont, he was at least some sort of High Priest, which worships some kind of a Tiger Immortal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merakses
Website Team
Website Team


Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Claw and Mystara?   Thu Oct 11 2007, 04:45

And last but not least, having no dynamite is bad, doesn't links with the Claw world for me - there should be some. Also, magic should be quite rarely used (hard to wield), because of the gunpowder and etc. - I doubt if the guys making the gunpowder and all those modern thingies (well not so modern right now but it was new in the colonial age) would like casters.

The other things are nice and I think that the idea has potential
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wilhelm
Sponsor
Sponsor
avatar

Male Number of posts : 40
Age : 32
Localisation : Brasília, Brazil
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Claw and Mystara?   Sun Oct 14 2007, 17:28

Thanks for the comments pirat

Yes, I don't see leves, dwarves, etc as part of the "Claw World", we surely agree about this Smile
On the ther hand, that doesn't mean that "Claw World" can't also be part of a larger world, where other races do exist (BTW, we have, at least, a "walrus-like"-people as well, since we can see one of them at Calico's). And if that's the case, I guess that Renardy and Bellayne are a good option, because they're both inhabited basically by rakastas and lupins only Wink

The dynamite issue is something I always felt as really odd, that really doesn't fit a pirate setting. OTOH, that doesn't necessarely means that we can't heve dymanite-like bombs that have a candle-like shape for some reason. Normal bombs are common in both Claw and Mystara, and we also have, canonly, odd bombs in Mystara, that are used by a race of tiny humanoid lizards that could easily fit your description of a iguana-like specie; we also have alligator-people and regular lizard-people at the SC, BTW. Wink
Canonly, we don't have rat-people, but that could easily be included at the setting, probably living just close to the Cayma (the tiny lizards with bombs). Since it's a quite remote place, that may be the reason for this race not being mentioned by the canon of Mystara; OTOH, the LB Trading Co., a influent trading company that exists at the SC, have some holdings at there, and the rat-lings could be mernaries for them and anyone else willing to pay their price (and this explains why they're not only working with the "spaniards", but also with the forest bandits, the pirates, etc). Ahn, and we have walrus-like people in Mystara, called Omm-wa.

About the spells, I'll have to explain a little bit about the Red Curse: at the same time that it gives magic abilities, it also gives deformities and often kill people affect by it. Those who survives it can't avoid the deformities, however, andare called the Aflicted. This curse can, however, be avoided by two things: a spell that priests of any Immortal have access, and the special metal called Cinnabryl.
The clerical spell is the easiest and cheaper way to ward off the curse, but the spell can't be used when under it's effect. Cinnabryl allows one to use it's spell without being target of the curse and it's detrimental effects, but it's a rare and expensive metal and so only some individuals will have access to it, like Claw, Wolvington and Red Tail.
Another thing that also should be noted is that not all spells obviously look like spells: one, for example, that Catherine or possibly Le Rauxe could have is the one called Jump, that just like the name implies, allows one to jump much higher that he or she could normally do.
I guess that Wolvington gauntlet looks like special and possibly magical, but I don't remember neither Claw not Red Tail having any item that could be the source of their power. Red Tail, BTW, has more than one power, wich could more easily means that it comes not from a magic item, but from himself. Since I guess he is not a wizard or sorceror, he may be a Inheritor. Inheritors are people that found a way to recieve more than one Legacy (Legacies are those spells that the Curse gives).
About the magical rarity, being replaced by gunpower weapons, that also happens at the SC. The Smokepowder (that replaces the Gunpowder at the SC) is also made of a special material linked to Cinnaryl, and when it explodes, it depletes the Cinnarbyil. So, people that uses legacies probably won't use fireweapons. And any kind of mage of priest that knows how to use spells need at least a lot of training; likely, also a special gift that allows them to use magical abilities. But for use fireweapons, one only needs to know how to aim and where the trigger is Wink

The temple itself looks like a mix of native american (especially mesoamerican) and southeastern asian pyramids, likely a mix of both. Also, mystaran sherkastas have a asian culture, which fits nicely the fact that they're monks Wink The cats that we can see just after Omar is defeated, however, are very egyptian. I guess this can mean that it was originally a nithian building that was later rebuild by Omar and the other sherkastas, all followers of Bastet/Princess Adora and following her orders. farao
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merakses
Website Team
Website Team


Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Claw and Mystara?   Wed Oct 17 2007, 11:59

This way I agree, It's better. BTW, does someone know why when you start the fight with Gabriel, Claw says "Give my regards to Red Tail!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zuczek
Website Team
Website Team
avatar

Male Number of posts : 131
Age : 27
Localisation : Bialystok, Poland
Registration date : 2007-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Claw and Mystara?   Thu Oct 18 2007, 02:23

Maybe Claw knows that he will beat Gabriel and Redtail and asks Gabriel to give his regards to Redtail when they both are dead -> are in the same underground world Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kapitanpazur.piasta.pl
Wilhelm
Sponsor
Sponsor
avatar

Male Number of posts : 40
Age : 32
Localisation : Brasília, Brazil
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Claw and Mystara?   Thu Oct 18 2007, 05:58

Merakses wrote:
This way I agree, It's better.

Thanks. Very Happy
I guess all really fits. Or, at least fits if we don't mind changing the "Spain" thing for Renardy Wink
Let's see if the world shown at Captain Claw 2 will still allow this or not.

Merakses wrote:
BTW, does someone know why when you start the fight with Gabriel, Claw says "Give my regards to Red Tail!"

I think it's because he's Red Tail's first mate.

Zuczek wrote:
Maybe Claw knows that he will beat Gabriel and Redtail and asks Gabriel to give his regards to Redtail when they both are dead -> are in the same underground world Razz

Hehehe, a good theory Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merakses
Website Team
Website Team


Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Claw and Mystara?   Sat Oct 20 2007, 12:29

The Immortal idea is nice, especially with Bastet as a female tiger Immortal - because when you are in Temple, the tiger monks sometimes emote "Honor the Princess!" while you fight them - it has a good link.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merakses
Website Team
Website Team


Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Claw and Mystara?   Sat Oct 20 2007, 12:33

Quote :
Red Tail has more than one power

Why? I can't remember anything magical except the mastery of winds. He has some strange pistol and daggers, and some really nasty meele abilities, as well as a high jump of some sort, but I don't think either of these are magical.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wilhelm
Sponsor
Sponsor
avatar

Male Number of posts : 40
Age : 32
Localisation : Brasília, Brazil
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Claw and Mystara?   Sat Oct 20 2007, 22:51

Merakses wrote:
The Immortal idea is nice, especially with Bastet as a female tiger Immortal - because when you are in Temple, the tiger monks sometimes emote "Honor the Princess!" while you fight them - it has a good link.

Yes, the tiger guard are under Princess Adora orders Smile
I guess she's more of a cat than a tiger, but that's the idea Wink

[quote="Merakses]Why? I can't remember anything magical except the mastery of winds. He has some strange pistol and daggers, and some really nasty meele abilities, as well as a high jump of some sort, but I don't think either of these are magical.[/quote]

Actually I was thinking about his magic pistol, that isn't, as you pointed, one of his own magical abilities and, thus, we know of only one magical ability that he has.
However, there is a Legacy (magic spell) that has the very same effects of his throwing dagger attack.
The main hints for him be a Inheritor, however, is the fact that he uses a special pistol (possibly this one doesn't require Smokepowder and thus he doesn't have the detriment effect of depleting Cinnabryl that is worn by a Inheritor); also all Inheritos always made up a name for them that have "red" something or "Flame" someting, etc. Just like "Red Tail" Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigerclaw
Crew Member
Crew Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 14
Age : 19
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Claw and Mystara?   Sun Apr 10 2011, 00:16

Cool Its because the Red Tailed Pirates Actually work for both Redtail and Gabriel ie, they know each
other and Claw knows this. pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Istivite
Claw Partner
Claw Partner


Number of posts : 67
Age : 100
Registration date : 2014-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Claw and Mystara?   Fri Jun 05 2015, 12:39

Tigerclaw wrote:
Cool Its because the Red Tailed Pirates Actually work for both Redtail and Gabriel ie, they know each
other and Claw knows this.  pirat
â

I think Gabriel is supposed to be Red Tail's first mate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigerclaw
Crew Member
Crew Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 14
Age : 19
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Claw and Mystara?   Tue Jun 09 2015, 07:41

Istivite wrote:
Tigerclaw wrote:
Cool Its because the Red Tailed Pirates Actually work for both Redtail and Gabriel ie, they know each
other and Claw knows this.  pirat
â

I think Gabriel is supposed to be Red Tail's first mate.

He is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Claw and Mystara?   

Back to top Go down
 
Claw and Mystara?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» By Tooth And Claw Dragons
» Raven Claw Pack
» Santa Claws is Comin' to Town
» Snake caught in the talon's claw.
» TDK: The Divine Kishin (Monster Hunter Kishin Egg Faction)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Captain Claw Forum :: The Fan :: Claw Fiction-
Jump to: